Technical Reading &Writing:
The purpose of this course is to develop the reading comprehension skills in English. Students will be required to study reading selected materials from technical/scientific publications and presenting the topics before the class as well as taking active part in discussions in English. In addition to that each student will have to write a report on an assigned topic.
# Beginning to Write
1. Making sensible sentences.
2. Joining and expanding sentences.
3. Contracting sentences.
4. Logical development of sentences in context using an idea.
5. Clear and effective communication of information.
# Reading for Writing
Students will be required to comprehend modern prose-passages drawn from different disciplines with attention to their (a) context, (b) vocabulary, and (c) syntax, and deliver feedback in the form of précis, summaries, and comprehension answers. They will also be required to present their writings before the class for discussion and reactions by the peers.
# Expanding Writing
1. Writing paragraphs on technical aspects.
2. Writing short, free and guided compositions.
3. Developing essays on technical issues.
4. Writing reports, memos and business letters.
5. Editing compositions for clarity and effectiveness.