Premier University IT Institute
1st initiative to make Digital Bangladesh
Premier University IT Institute, a centre of research and development, was recently established jointly by the Department of Computer Science & Engineering and the Department of Electrical & Electronics Engineering. The project was initiated by the generous support of Chittagong City Corporation. The main objective of this institute is to provide practical experience to the students of the departments. The institute also intends to contribute extensively to the digitization of Chittagong City as announced by the Honorable Mayor Alhaj A. B. M Mohiuddin Chowdhury. As part of the scheme, the institute will design, develop and set up the ‘e-governance’ for the Chittagong City Corporation. Setting up ‘E-governance’ will augment the ability of Chittagong City Corporation to extend support and help to general people of Chittagong city.
This IT institute is going to contribute positively in several ways. First, it will allow Premier University students to gain hands-on experience as they will work there as interns, which will enhance their skills and make them productive at the very outset of their career in the industry. The institute will also provide world class training of CISCO (CCNA, CCNP, CCSP), ORACLE, Nortel, Microsoft, Linux and Sun Solaris. This will help to overcome the shortage of IT-skilled people in Bangladesh. Second, it will create many jobs in IT and electronics here in Chittagong enabling Bangladesh to substantially increase its GDP. Third, the institute will also contribute to the economy by developing, designing and manufacturing different products and services which are now imported from abroad. This will help positively to improve the balance of payment position of the country.
To develop the infrastructure and to initiate the projects, an international tender was called and M/s Asmi Technology from India was selected as the consulting firm. M/s Asmi was selected as it was the lowest in bidding and had the highest technical expertise among the bidders.
(1)IT Training Academy (With Practical classes in R&D Labs)
- IT Training Academy (With Practical classes in R&D Labs)
(1) Hardware & Networking Training – Assembling, fault diagnosis, repairing, Chip level repairing & Benchmark Process using different tools, Designing LAN system, Fiber Optic Network, VLAN, Layer 3 and 7 Integration, VPN, Network Management, OTDR, LAN Meter
(2) Satellite & Wireless Communication- design, concept, site survey, Installation & Commissioning and Maintenance. This will include VSAT communication, Indoor /outdoor Wireless and WiMAX.
(3) Data Center Specialization – Data Center Concept, Data Center design and disaster Management, Different NOS and Integration within different NOSs. Windows Standard & Enterprise Servers, Linux, Solaris and HP Unix. Cluster Server Design and Deployment, SAN Concept & Integration, Virtualization and Remote Management
(4) PLC System Integrator – PLC System Concept & design, PLC System deployment with different models. Maintenance
(5) Network Security Lab – Ethical Hacking, Security design and deployment, E-Commerce Security, WAN Security, Appliance Testing against Threats
(6) BMS & Intelligent Access Control Lab – IP and non-IP based Surveillance System, Access Control, Fire Safety and Management, Disaster Management
(7) Call Center Executive Training – Concept, Customer care training, Accent neutralization, removal of MTI, Sales Training, remote support
All the above courses will be offered to existing PU students and other outside students. The training will be done in live setup and with practical case studies.
In addition to the above courses, there will be short duration crash courses on different subjects with practical exposure.
The best performing students will be entitled to get involved in setting up live projects in India for course module no. 2 to 6.
(2) Hardware Assembly Unit (R&D Unit and Commercial Module)
- Hardware Assembly Unit (R&D Unit and Commercial Module)
- Laptop and LCD Display assembling unit through OEM tie-ups with different Contract manufacturers in India and China under the Brand name of “Premier”.
- Mobile Phone Assembling Unit – GSM and CDMA mobile phone (3G support) assembling unit through OEM tie-ups with different Contract manufacturers in India and China.
(3) Business Process Outsourcing Unit (BPO-U) - (R&D Unit and Commercial Module)
- Business Process Outsourcing Unit (BPO-U) - (R&D Unit and Commercial Module)
(This unit will be setup for both Voice and Non-voice processes)
A 50-100 seats BPO unit will be setup which will have both an International Call Center (Inbound and Outbound) and a Data Processing unit. This unit will be used to cater to verticals like:
(A) International Customer Support
(B) International Telephonic Sales
(C) Domestic Customer Support or Helpline
(D) Data Processing, Accounting Outsourcing
(E) Claims Processing, Medical Billing, Coding
(4) Software Development Center (SDC) – (R&D Unit and Commercial Module)
- Software Development Center (SDC) – (R&D Unit and Commercial Module) - A State of the art SDC will be setup with different development and computing platform to work on the following areas:
- E-Commerce content development and security modules
- Mobile Fraud Management and Revenue Assurance
- Customized Application Development to support e-Governance and related initiatives
- 3G Gaming and 3D multimedia rich applications
- Mobile Application Development
- Communication & Networking Software
Some proposed outcomes of the institute
GPS based tracking system and Traffic Control System
Radio Frequency and microprocessor based personal ID card, which may be used for various purposes e.g. payment of utility bills, individual tax, holding tax, VAT, issuance and renewal of trade license etc.
IP based surveillance and security system.
Intelligent fire alarm & control system
Wired and wireless (Wi-Fi) network planning, development and security
WiMax and 3G Network design, deployment
MNC (Multinational Corporation) quality Laptop development and manufacture in reasonable price.
LCD panel assemble.
Farmer’s mobile device development and manufacture
Multistoried building management system (BMS) including access control, security, surveillance, power, fire alarm and control, public announcement (PA) etc.
Call Center for Public Health and Emergency Services
Programmable Logic Control (PLC) system solution and services for industries
Telecommunication software development (2G and 3G)
Mobile application development
Web based software development
Data Center creation.
BPO (Business Process Outsource) Consultancy and project management
How this Project will contribute to the Digital Development of Bangladesh from the Financial Capital called Chittagong
- Though the Premier Brand of Computers, Laptops, Mobile Phones, UPS will be launched from Chittagong, it will soon be made a National Brand for Bangladesh with Country-wide launch
- This project will create a global platform of different technologies in both hardware & software. This will translate into innovation of different products and technical services
- Low cost Computers, Laptops and Communication Devices will excite a large scale of population to buy such devices. This will increase the Computer Literacy and create a better governance
- This Project will offer opportunities for association with different Global technology companies and Academic Institutions. The Associations will lead to a greater awareness about Bangladesh in the Global technology map of Information Technology Services
- A pilot project for complete automation of CCC will be taken up shortly. This e-governance of CCC will be an example for all other City Corporation in Bangladesh. This e-governance module, if successfully implemented can be customized and used for all other Govt. & public sector departments
- This project offers a great amount of Scale and it can be extended to ensure that different companies from different parts of the World come to Bangladesh for investment
- This is first time in Bangladesh that the hardware industry, software industry, International Call Center Services, Training Academy and Research Labs will come under a same platform. This wonderful integration will offer a great scope for exchange of ideas, technologies & academic development.
Social Impact – an Important Factor
- This project will create a large employment opportunity for young talented youths leading to economic and emotional stability
- The e-governance of CCC and other public service will enhance the quality of life for Citizens. This will make these organizations and institutes more efficient, transparent and responsive
- This project will offer a platform to the students of different colleges, universities & institutes for practical application of their theoretical knowledge. This will enforce confidence amongst them and make them eligible for the job market
- This project will also encourage entrepreneurship through easy integration of theoretical and practical knowledge and incubation of newer ideas. This will have a cascading effect in generating employment & income opportunities for people.